8 Things You Didn’t Know about Churchill Downs
1) Family Adventure Day is held four times a year (in the spring and the fall). Bring the kids to Churchill Downs for a day of racing and family activities including pony rides, inflatables, petting zoo, stick horse races in the Paddock, face painting, and more.
2) You can spend special days at Churchill Down’s for Father’s Day or Thanksgiving! General Admission tickets are available or you can get reserved tickets for seating or dining.
3) Right beside Churchill Downs, The Kentucky Derby Museum offers multiple tours including the Around the Track Golf Cart Tour, Barn and Backside Van Tour, or the Historic Walking Tour.
4) Churchill Downs has Military Appreciation Days! Active and retired members of the military are invited to enjoy a day at the races twice a year. By showing a military, or government issued, I.D., military members will receive FREE general admission or a discounted ticket to Millionaires Row dining room.
5) Across the Street at 4th and Central is a popular restaurant that many Racetrack fans frequent called Wagner’s Pharmacy. Lots of history is on the walls and sometimes you can catch jockeys, trainers, and owners having a meal. We also have a review!
6) Dawn at the Downs: Get up early and watch the Kentucky Derby and Kentucky Oaks contenders conduct morning workouts while enjoying a delicious buffet breakfast. Dawn at the Downs is a popular tradition for both Louisvillians and visitors, giving Kentucky Derby fans the opportunity to see the contenders train for the big race, while listening to expert commentary. Don’t miss this next year!
7) Not sure how to bet at Churchill Downs? Don’t worry, they offer a Betting 101 site to help you with the process! Check it out here.
8) Did you know you can become a Race Horse Owner? Churchill Downs Racing Club is your low risk pathway to becoming a race horse owner! The club is a low cost, low risk glimpse into the life of a thoroughbred owner. Visit the track in the early mornings to watch your horse conduct morning training routines, experience the Paddock enclosure just prior to the race, listen in as your trainer gives final instructions to the jockey, watch and enjoy your horse as he competes at the World’s Most Legendary Racetrack and hopefully experience the thrill of visiting the Winners’ Circle!