A Day Trip to Owensboro, Kentucky
Take a day trip to Owensboro with kids, family fun!
Owensboro has a lot to offer families and kids! We found a ton of free and inexpensive fun for everyone.
- There’s a Hampton Inn and Holiday Inn on either side of the modern looking convention center – great location for an overnight stay.
- Free Trolley rides around downtown for hopping on and off!
- Cute shops downtown- boutiques, antiques – something for everyone.
Owensboro Museum of Science and History
- Affordable and they allow you to come and go as long as you have your ticket stub for the day
- Free downtown on street parking
- A tad of an old place that needs some TLC- not everything works.
- Good for younger kids – the upstairs play area is nice!
- Lots of state history for elementary to middle school aged kids that are learning that topic in school
- Jumping water fountains all over
- VERY clean and well-maintained – close to downtown for easy access
- Huge/unique playground for all ages
- Restrooms were clean
- Lots of tables in the playground and surrounding park
- Splash pad open during warmer months
- We drove into the commercial and residential area searching for this tree!
- It’s not as impressive as it seemed online so, save your time. Cool idea but didn’t have much of an impact or leave an impression.
- Walk up burger joint with small selection of ice cream but delicious shakes
- Recommend fried apple slices with vanilla ice cream
- Great location for stopping on your way out of town (depending on your direction, of course)
- AWESOME park!!!! Not just any park, it’s a destination – really.
- Multiple playgrounds, covered picnic spots, disc golf, fishing, fields and more.
- Pioneer Village and hiking trail were our favorite – we spent significant time there
- Bathrooms near the pioneer village for convenience
- Cool suspension bridge and covered bridge on the walking trail
Other things to note about Owensboro:
- We noticed a couple of orchards for fruit picking during the season
- Walk-up pizza placer called Fetta by playground – easy lunch spot
- Many of the area hotels have pools – kids love hotels with pools!
- Camping, RV, cottage, and motel room rentals at Diamond Lake Resort – theater, go-karts, bumper boats, pedal boats, mini golf, disc golf, fishing, pizza and ice cream parlor, grill, grocery and laundry on site.
- The city also has a tennis complex, ice center and a skate park and lots of festivals and shows throughout the year